[TR] Pushrod and tappet trouble on my TR3A

Rick chandler.rick at comcast.net
Fri Aug 13 18:48:03 MDT 2010

My TR3A finally clocked over the 500 mile mark since its rebuild, and I
re-torqued the head (each nut needed another half-flat or so). To reach the
center nuts I had to remove the rocker assembly. When I finished the
retorque job and went to refit the rockers, I saw that one of the pushrods
was standing proud of all the others by 1-1/2 inch. It acts as though it is
hung up on the top of the tappet; no amount of persuasion (gentle) or engine
rotation will cause it to return to its normal position. I lifted one of the
other pushrods to feel what a proper seat felt like, and now IT is standing
proud by 1-1/2 inch and will not retreat to its normal position. The rods,
when lifted out, show an inch or so of oil on them, so they appear to be in
the tappets. Could the tappets be hung up above the cam?

Rick Chandler

2414 73rd Avenue SE

Mercer Island WA 98040

Home         206 236 8662

Cell            206 909 8408

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image001.jpg]