[TR] radiator duct material

P Caffrey pcaffrey at ymail.com
Thu Aug 12 21:24:07 MDT 2010

>Just bought a new one, but plan to use it as a template to build a longer
>lasting one.

Terry,
You should replicate in metal....I've had a similar
experience.  I had my old
tattered duct replaced with a new one.  However, it
was too small for my TR4A.
It was the only new duct I could find, but
happened to be a TR4 duct.  Then, I
found an original (used of course) TR4A
duct and it was far superior to the new
one.  It was more solid even at its
advanced age compared to the new duct, plus
it fit to the radiator better.
The duct was cleaned and painted with a
semi-gloss....I did attempt to get
the original duct replicated at the school I
work at.  The metal shop took it
on as a project.  The project got dumped due to
budget cuts, layoffs, etc.
The instructor did tell me that sheet metal was the
best way to replicate.
The advice was not surprising, since he runs the metal
shop at school!  If my
current duct ever goes bad, I will go the metal route.
Pat
TR4A '67
1CTC/72746-L

Triumphs at autox.team.net