[TR] OK, the IRS differential is shot. Now what?

Ben Zwissler bjzwissler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 15:57:28 MDT 2010

Unless you've got some experience with gearbox's or diff's, I'd pay
someone to rebuild it, but R&R it myself.  Removing is purely a nuts and
bolts job.  Flange bolts at the three input/output shafts and the nuts
that fasten it to the car.  You'll need a floor jack to support it while
you loosen the attachment bolts and then lower it.  I don't know that
you'd have to have a British Car shop do the diff rebuild work.  Any
tranny/diff shop should be capable.  I don't see anything unique about
them.  They'd probably let you source the parts since they won't want to
mess with finding them.  If you remove it and open it up you may be able
to tell visually what's gone bad and then look up the parts cost.  Plan
on new bearings regardless of what gears may be bad.  I've often found
that bearings can purchased cheaper at a local bearing supply place
(Bearing, Inc. around here) - they're often standard sizes.

Looks like TRF does the rebuild for $1,300 - not cheap.  I've done seals
and minor other repairs which just take a gear puller and maybe a case
spreader.  I've been lucky and not needed a case spreader for any I've
done (MG Midget, TR4A and TR8).  The most complicated job I did was
replacing the limited slip clutch plates in the TR8's Salisbury LSD
unit.  If you need a new pinion/ring gear that takes a little experience
to get right.  You'll also need a dial gauge, but those are cheap these
days.  All I did to my TR4A diff was to replace all the seals and
luckily its been fine.

Anyway, my two cents worth.  Others feel free to disagree.....

Ben....

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler at gmail.com
Columbus, IN