Re: [TR] [Spits] Trivia alertTriumph in advertising

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 10 20:52:46 MDT 2010

> Has anyone installed a 'lighter' socket on a positive ground
> car (TR3).
> Will these accessories work?

I have not done it (my TRs have all been converted to negative ground), but
I know people who have.  No reason it shouldn't work fine, as long as you
are careful to not short the grounds together.  That means you'll either
need to find an isolated outlet (more marine outlets are isolated) or find
some way to mount it so it's not grounded to the car.

Also a good idea to use a separate fuse, or better yet a circuit breaker for
the outlet.  That way, if it does get inadvertently shorted, it won't kill
any other devices.

BTW, I was in Torrance Electronics the other day, and they have nice tab
mount automotive grade 12 amp circuit breakers for $3.50 each.  Just right
for a cigarette lighter/outlet.  I think I may use them instead of fuses for
my headlights.

Randall