[TR] List diagnosis requested TR6

Brian Lanoway blanoway at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 10 08:02:44 MDT 2010

I still have the same clunk in my TR6 with a variation - despite after
replacing and fixing everything possible under my rear suspension.  I have
new trailing arm bushes, TRF rebuilt half shafts with new well-lubed
splines, new U-Joint bearings all around, new shocks with tight shock
mounts, rebuilt brakes, heli-coiled trailing arm studs, new differential
rubber mounts and welded/reinforced diff mount brackets, etc, etc.  I did
have a diff mount with a hard-to-see crack and fixing/reinforcing that did
make a difference but that #$%^& clunk is still there.  Other than a
wholesale diff swap-out, I dont have anything else I can replace.

It must be like a rapidly mutating virus because my clunk has this
variation.

It best occurs when the car is on a slight incline (my driveway).  It only
occurs when the car is in gear and the ebrake is off. When stopped, you can
push up and down on a rear corner of the car as if you were testing a shock
absorber and I then create a clunk so loud and apparent, that the hub wheel
on that side almost seems to visibly chatter.  Using a stethoscope, the
clunk seems loudest from inside the diff itself and diminishes as you go
through the rest of the system with your scope. If the car is on flat
terrain and out of gear (but with ebrake on) I cant replicate the same
clunk/chatter.  I would love it if other TR6 owners tried this test on their
TRs to see can replicate this chatter.

When driving, the clunk re-appears (you can actually feel it in the seat of
your pants) when you go over a very hilly grass field at slow speed - a type
of location where you often have a show and shine.  It seems to get worse
and louder when you do this after a long hot drive.

Ive been lately assuming that something is binding at slow speeds in my
diff when the rear suspension goes through high amplitude oscillations - and
have learned to live with it since it only occurs occasionally.

I would love a List Diagnosis on this as well.

Cheers,

Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg, Canada

On Sunday, August 8, Ed Woods wrote:

		List,

		Ever since its restoration many years and thousands of miles
ago, my brother's
		'76 TR6 has made a "clunk" when changing direction as in
backing up, then going forward or going forward, then backing up.

		We have examined the diff mounts, replaced all universals on
the drive shaft and half shafts, pulled the half shaft apart and greased
them, etc. etc. We're about to change the diff, even though neither of us
believes the diff to be the problem. In other words, we're down to grasping
at straws.

		This morning we made a new observaton which is why I'm
appealing to the List for insight or solution.

		If the E brake is on while we attempt to move the car
forward or backward, there is no evidence of this "clunk". It occurs only if
the car moves, however slightly.

		I would assume this evidence eliminates the driveshaft,
diff, and half shafts as the cause of the problem.

		Does the List agree?

		Then, what's left? Brakes? Wheels?

		Ed Woods