[TR] List diagnosis requested TR6 or IRS ends

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 05:44:09 MDT 2010

Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 16:54:37 -0400
From: "Ed Woods" <fogbro1 at comcast.net>
Subject: [TR] List diagnosis requested TR6
To: <triumphs at autox.team.net>

List,

Ever since its restoration many years and thousands of miles ago, ...
We have examined the diff mounts, replaced all universals on the drive shaft
and half shafts, pulled the half shaft apart and greased them, etc. etc.
We're
about to change the diff, even though neither of us believes the diff to be
the problem. In other words, we're down to grasping at straws.

This morning we made a new observaton which is why I'm appealing to the List
for insight or solution.

If the E brake is on while we attempt to move the car forward or backward,
there is no evidence of this "clunk". It occurs only if the car moves,
however
slightly.

I would assume this evidence eliminates the driveshaft, diff, and half shafts
as the cause of the problem.

Does the List agree?

Then, what's left? Brakes? Wheels?

Ed Woods
Hi Ed & list!

PLEASE keep me informed on ALL the Info that you have received on this
subject, because I'm having the same problem.

I'm at the point where you are in wanting to switch differantials, too. But I
haven't tried the handbrake test yet. thanks for the input.

> Then, what's left? Brakes?
It could be a brake shoe spring retanior being to loose? But? How do you check
that with the wheel & drum on?

> Wheels?
I'm thinking of rebuilding the hubs, but I've heard on the list that there are
CV joint 1/2 shafts that are better. Now if I decide to get these, then do you
know if they come with new HUBS? I'd hate to rebuild the hubs to find out that
it was a waist of time because the CV units come complete with new hubs. Do
you know anything about these CV units & who or where to get them?

Again, I'm VERY concerned & interested on this thread.

-Cosmo Kramer