[TR] summer party

Foster, Stan (HP IT) stan.foster at hp.com
Tue Aug 3 06:39:53 MDT 2010

We organized a group trip to the summer party for our club, New England
Triumphs. I highly recommend this approach for long trips (around 1400 miles
for us) as you never know what might go wrong. One of our cars had an
electrical problem on the way home that took out the brake lights so we just
sandwiched him between two TR6's. We planned an overnight stop about half way
so that we were not driving for more than 6 hours (about 8 hours elapsed with
stops) in one day and in addition to a lunch break we stopped every two hours
to stretch, find a restroom etc.  The half-way point for us was in the
Stroudsburg area and from there we took routes 45 and 22 (not sure of their
proper designations) to Armagh. These are fantastic roads for Triumphs with
hardly any traffic other than the occasional Amish horse and buggy.  Who knew
Pennsylvania grows so much corn !.

We planned the route using Google maps, used the street view feature to
identify suitable food/gas/restroom stops and also to identify way-points that
we could program into the GPS. As we reached one way point we would select the
next and let the GPS guide us over our somewhat indirect route.

For these trips the journey is as much a part of the experience as the
destination and I'm already looking forward to our next club trip.

We really enjoyed the summer party and it was great to meet people that I only
knew online as well as old and new friends. I will be disappointed if this was
the last one.

Stan