[TR] [Spits] Replacement transmissin synchro problems -

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Tue Apr 27 10:51:29 MDT 2010

Jim Holmgren wrote:
> My rebuilt OD transmission (rebuilt by a well-know shop)
> has the 'new' synchros.  2nd to 3rd cannot be done quickly
> without some major grindage.

A few years ago I got a rebuilt Spitfire 3-rail gearbox from one of the "well-known shops" and it had crunching problems.  And before that I got a rebuilt unit from Spitbits for the GT6 after its geabox imploded on the road.  It too had crunching problems.  Winter before this last I tore down the GT6 box in search for a whine (didn't find it but I think I know why, not too worried  yet) and two of the synchros looked worn as measured by the clearance.  I replaced them with new parts.  The new parts showed much more clearance, and now it shifts smoothly with no crunching.  I suspect that the rebuilders (different houses in different parts of the world, I would imagine) try to save money by re-using parts that look okay.  They just hazve a loose definition of what is still okay.

Jim Muller