[TR] Replacement transmissin synchro problems -

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Tue Apr 27 09:04:13 MDT 2010

I am going to be rebuilding and replacing my wifes 1296 Spitfire with a
1500 lump, and since I will be pulling the engine, I was also considering
fixing the problem I have had since the initial restoration of the car
about 6 years ago, and that is with the synchros in the transmission.  This
transmission is a single rail 1975 overdrive box, and at the time I had
replaced all the synchros with new.  They have never been right, grinding
in almost every gear unless you allow a second or two between shifts, or
double clutch.  Forget about fast shifting - I was really disappointed with
the initial rebuild, and as such am hesitant to do it all over again,
especially since I have heard similar stories with problem replacement
synchros   I am not about to buy new synchros and go through all the work
to replace them, only to have the same problem -
Has the bad synchro problem been fixed or are they all still junk??