[TR] TR6 evaporative filter - function or setup question

Bud Rolofson levilevi at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 14:19:25 MDT 2010

Mark,

If you have a Bentley manual you can check out the flow diagram for
better understanding of the flow pattern.  If memory serves it will
show that the carbs are pulling the vapors from the the canister and
burning them when the engine is running.  The canister "collects" the
vapors when the car isn't running so they are not vented to the
atmosphere....the whole idea was to reduce those types of fugitive
emissions from the gas tank.  The bottom of the canister is open so
clean air can cleanse the charcoal of the vapors.

So yes you are pulling in what you might call "filtered air" while
running but it is laden with the vapors from the charcoal.  I had
those type of carbs but replaced them with 1971 carbs from my rust
bucket TR6.  I put the 72 carbs on the rust bucket but it wouldn't run
right without the hoses/canister hooked up so my experience is that
the carbs are engineered for that specific flow.  Also I remember a
small brass insert with a small hole in one of the hoses??  that
limited the flow but I don't have the carbs anymore to look at them.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
levilevi at comcast.net