[TR] TR6 Rear Fenders

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 06:25:33 MDT 2010

Hi Bob,

I put a set of Fiberglass fenders on my TR4 quite a few years ago and had
major issues -  the darn things just did not fit.  From what I understand
it's rare to find a fiberglass set that fits.

I cut the fenders into a few pieces - based on what sections fit where - and
where I felt I could fiberglass them back together in a reasonably strong
manner.

I feathered the edges back an inch or so on each piece and  bolted all the
pieces together -  reached in from behind - where I could - and put some
fiberglass to hold them together. The idea here for me was to minimize any
stressing of the fiberglass - I think that helps to reduce the amount of
crazing or surface finish cracking as the years go by.

>From there it was more fiberglass - a bit of sanding on the front side - I
dished out about 1 inch wide and 1/16 inch deep  with my grinding wheel at
an angle and laid a strip of fiberglass on the front edge as well.  From
there it was normal bondo and sanding.

It's been 15 years - no cracks (were my repairs were anyway) -  and I can't
tell where the repairs were (from the outside - anyway)

If you go this route - wear a mask while you work - that fiberglass is nasty
stuff.

Chris