[TR] The Red Car

Bob Rochlin r_rochlin at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 18 16:30:44 MDT 2010

I think it was me who first brought up the Red Car.  I got a copy form the
Scholastic Book Club when I was about 12 or 13.  It really excited me to get
an English Sports Car. At that time they were not only incredibly exotic, but
also relatively inexpensive.  I never did get that Red Car.  My father owned
an auto repair shop in Boston and the guy who ran the welding shop behind the
gas station, Reid's Welding, was a stock car racer when stock cars really
were, well, stock cars.  All of the racers built tuned and repaired the cars
they raced at Westwood Speedway on the weekends.  Much to the dismay of my
father I loved hanging around those guys.  They would let me take the spark
plugs out of the engines and hold the stupid end of the wrenches when they
were disassembling their cars. In that respect I felt I was living the "Red
Car"  I still have a copy of the book and reread it right after I recommended
it to the list.  It was not as vivid as it was when I first read it as a kid
and a bit daded l, but as I reread it, I remembered the passages that made me
want more than anything to really get involved with cars and some of the
memorable times with the guys at Reid's that I had forgotten.  Over the
intervening 50 years I've had a Corvettes, motorcycles, four wheelers, and
sports cars, but none of them quite met the standard in my mind of the "Red
Car" I never got.  I, again, highly recommend the book for your children and
grandchildren. 	Thanks Justin.	Bob '72 TR6 (red)