[TR] TR air filters (K&N)

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Sat Apr 17 20:10:03 MDT 2010

I've been using K&N or other, very similar filters in everything for decades.

The only problem I've ever heard is that people tend to over-oil K&N and that
can make them less efficient passing air, in which case your fuel mixture and
gas mileage might suffer. I had this prob. with a cheap copy of a K&N on a
motorcycle once... Replaced it with a K&N, oiled it correctly and it worked
great.

If you ever look closely at K&N, it would be pretty hard to imagine even the
tiniest dust particle getting through the cloth and on into the engine. I
would think most paper filters are much more porous and allow larger particles
through.

It's a pain cleaning K&N (or other similar). The Ex used to get peeved at me
for washing them in the kitchen sink.

I always buy an extra filter (or set), so that I can have them clean, oiled
and ready to go. Not waiting around for them to dry after washing, and then
for the oil to penetrate all the nooks and crannies.

If needed, K&N also offers "pre-filters" to fit over most sizes of the basic
filter, sort of like a sock, for extreme conditions. I've never used them on
anything.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
amfoto1 at aol.com