[TR] TR air cleaners?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Apr 17 16:03:29 MDT 2010

> Don''t know who posted that dismissing K&N, but I suspect he/she
> never had dirt under their fingernails,

That would be me, Bill.  And you're right, I've been trying to remember to
wear gloves, because it's so dang hard to get my hands clean if I don't.

> K&N has long been the ultimate in free-flow filters,

Right.  I've no argument with how freely they flow air; only how well they
don't flow dirt.  Every real-world test I have ever seen has shown the K&N
to be dead last in how much dirt it keeps out of the engine.

> and are with certainty more efficient (in every way)

Engineer's motto : A test is worth a thousand theories.  IOW, show me the
test and I might believe you.

Feel free to run your own, or fire up Google and find a few on the 'net.
Eg,
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Here's one that even shows the K&N clogs more quickly, and becomes MORE
restrictive than a stock filter!
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

So, IMO, which filter is best depends on your goals.  If you only want to
wow them at the race track and don't mind new rings every race, then you
probably don't want a filter at all.  A good velocity stack is going to flow
better than the K&N.

But if you want your engine to last 100,000 miles or more, you are probably
better off with a 'stock' type paper element filter than a "free flow"
filter.

My .02, YMMV, NFI, offer void where not prohibited.

Randall