[TR] TR2/4A Rear Crank Seal installation

Catpusher at aol.com Catpusher at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 23:30:29 MDT 2010

Hi Randall, thanks for all of your great posts!

After the one seal failure on the dyno, where the oil actually made it to
the ceiling of Huffaker's dyno room (most embarrassing, although Joe was
understanding) I spent a great deal of time asking many people what they knew
about this kind of oil seal.  No one could tell me how deep the threads in
the seal needed to be,
so I bored a number of seals, and they all worked with some reduced  depth.
 In addition to dressing the split line, one can hammer on the seal  face
to close the ID; an old school secret from a dear departed friend.

I wanted to test the length of the first message, to see if MJB's
wonderful system would truncate the end;
as that is a most appropriate part of this fine system.
I will soon post how to change a seal in place, but part one had to  be
posted first.

btw: do to no fault of my own, the dyno day was on the Friday when I had to
 make it to Barstow, CA by Sunday night to arrive at the Atlanta ARRC in
time.  It was very late when I returned to SF Friday, with the TR motor
where the GT6+ passenger's seat normally was (also how I drove the motor to the
dyno) I had to pull the crank, as I had not yet figured out how to avoid
that,  install a used crank seal with the old, modified
crank, and put it back together with the good crank.  I then had to
install the motor in the race car, pack, hook the TR3 to the back of the E Type,
and drive.  I was very happy when the race motor had no leak after the
first track session at Road Atlanta, as that was my first chance to find  out.

Hardy

In a message dated 4/14/2010 4:15:08 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:

Hi  Hardy, thanks for the detailed description.  You wrote:

>   (I made a jig from two rear main caps to  size the seals
> in a  lathe)

Does this mean you removed material from the mating faces and  then bored
the
seal back to round?  (Kind of like line-boring an  engine block)

> 8.  The tool can be used to align a seal with  the crank in
> place...Interested?

Someone was asking that very  question recently, plus I'd like to know how
you do it.  Please tell  us.

-- Randall