[TR] Promise of oil analysis to the list

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 11:30:46 MDT 2010

Jim Muller wrote:
One supposed cause of stuck float valves is rubber flaking
off the inside of the fool lines due to new fool eating at old real rubber
components.

Another reason for stuck float valves on SU's and Strombergs is
gums/glues sticking to the fins of the needle valve itself. In my experience,
this is the most common cause. Remove the valve and gently rub each fin with a
piece of 600 grit paint flatting paper or very fine sandpaper. Before putting
to one side before re-fitting, I always used a watchmakers glass or powerful
magnifying glass to ensure there were no burrs at either end of each fin. Then
wrap a piece of the same grade paper around a cotton bud and work it up and
down the internal bore of the valve housing. You probably won't notice any
deposits or muck on the paper itself - but you'll sure clean up the needle
valve operating environment.

Jonmac