[TR] Promise of oil analysis to the list

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Apr 14 09:36:57 MDT 2010

In a message dated 4/14/2010 8:07:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
yellowtr at adelphia.net writes:
> When I drained the oil from the sump of my 72 project there were over 8
> quarts
> of oil/fuel. The PO said that gas was getting into the oil somehow but
> didn't
> know how. I could smell the gas in that oil!
>
> I had no idea either and after taking the engine apart and having
> everything
> checked out for wear at my machine shop, I determined that it was not the
> engine proper. There was no wear at all anywhere, even the end float was
> within
> spec! So I am guessing it was the smog system connections between the
> carbs
> and the valve cover and the carbon canister.

The most likely cause is a leaking needle and seat.  Since the tank on
these cars is mounted pretty high fuel will flow even without a pump.  You can
drive the car without a pump if you keep the tank 3/4 full.

Were you using Grosejets?

Dave