[TR] Preparing the babies to come home - now garages

Carl TR cfmtr3a at verizon.net
Sun Apr 11 12:15:31 MDT 2010

I went through the same 'mental' discussion a couple years ago.

I decided to go with a metal garage (from Carolina Carports). I then
insulated walls/ceiling with scrap refrigerator truck walls (5' x 42" x 3")
which fit real nice between the 5' framework.  They have an interlocking
edges so they build up the wall.  Even with the insulation it was about half
the cost of a conventional construction.

ended up with a 24' x 36' x 10' (sidewall).  I enclosed the back 10' for a
storage/work room that could be air conditioned.  The 'loft' is used for
bulk storage (currently there are 2 engines & 3 transmissions plus a lot of
spares up there plus wood, etc.

I electric wired off four circuits with two plugs on two circuits every 5'.
two may have been enough because it is difficult to have 4 things running
continuously at the same time.

compressor is on a separate circuit as are the lights (two circuits), fans,
exterior lighting/plugs, refrigerator, and air conditioner/heater.

total of 12 circuits.

I have drawings/plans/photos if any one is interested.