[TR] Preparing the babies to come home

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at charter.net
Sun Apr 11 08:51:25 MDT 2010

At 12:17 AM 4/11/2010, you wrote:

Hi David,

You've got lots of advice on moving the car without the transmission,
with which I concur.  Let's talk about garages...

>Also, these are being moved to a new temporary location, and the plan is
>to build a 16'x16' garage.  Does someone have some plans in electronic
>form they would be willing to share?

Why 16' by 16'?  I recently built a garage, so I'm familiar with the
shortcomings and compromises I had to make...so here's my first thoughts:

16x16 should be easy for any builder.  It uses common lengths of
dimensional lumber and sheet goods, keeping waste (and cost)
low.  But, given a pair of 5' by 14' cars, 16 by 16 is a tight
fit.  Also, standard garage doors are 9 feet and 16 feet for single
and double, respectively.  If you're going to use a standard overhead
door, you need more width or more depth.

If you can do it, a typical two-car garage is more like 20 by 22,
with one double or two single doors.  You can search the web for
garage plans and get a ton of examples pretty quickly.

My garage was built for four vehicles.  It now has five <G>  You
can't make it too big, but you can make it more expensive...the trick
is striking a balance.  It's a lot tougher to add on later.

http://fishplate.org/garage/  and http://fishplate.org/garage/plan.jpg

What looks like lots of room in the plan turns out to be less room in
real life.

http://fishplate.org/garage/866057.jpg

  My advice is to measure your cars, then cut out some scale shapes
and play with them to make sure you have a practical layout.  Then
add about 20% more space.

Jeff Scarbrough      75 TR6 x 1, 76 1500 x 2, 78 1500 x 1, 80 1500 x 0.5
http://www.fishplate.org/vehicles/
Corrosion Acres, Georgia         #354