[TR] CRANKCASE VENTILATION

N197TR4 at cs.com N197TR4 at cs.com
Thu Apr 8 11:47:12 MDT 2010

List,

Kas Kastner has another book coming out about mid 2010. One of the chapters
deals with Crankcase Ventilation. It should be very useful for both race
and street drivers.

One premise is that you need all of the ventilation that you can get in a
TR3/4 and it is usually a benefit to any engine.

For my race engines, I use the stock OEM scroll seal carefully located.
Then I have a system that induces negative crankcase pressure. In addition to
eliminating crank seal leaks, it reduces the oil and air turbulence in the
block, and promotes ring sealing. This is not a new idea and certainly not my
invention. And the cost to do it is negligible.

My undercarriage went from embarassingly wet at the end of the race
weekend, to dry, with no significant oil drips during the trailer trip home. A
welcome relief. So thus it has been for over ten years.

The system has been approved by SVRA and accepted by VSCDA and others
during tech. It comes from the stock car and drag strip folks....folks who tend
to be very clever. Look at the Summit catalog and find Crank Case Ventilation
kits. The kit contains a system for V-8s so you can do two Triumphs. Just
do a little welding and add a high temp hose.

Buy Kas' book when it comes out.....it is also going to have an enormous
amount of performance content.  A book signing is planned at Heartland Park in
Topeka in August...and the Kastner Cup Race will be held. And much more.

Joe A