[TR] tr-3 rear license plate lamp

Andrew Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Wed Apr 7 17:49:36 MDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Nafziger <nafzigerg at yahoo.com>

Finally trial fitted the rear license plate lamp on my tr-3 resto.  Amazingly
it
doesn't seem to be even close to fitting.  The holes line up but the nuts
holding the lamp on are several sizes smaller than the holes in the body.
Also
the lamp hangs down below the opening for the spare tire opening, interfering
with the spare tire cover.  Or maybe the spare tire cover slides up behind the
license plate lamp when installed?  I'm thinking maybe I'm missing a plate of
some kind that attaches to the car body........which then the license plate
lamp
attaches too?

==AM==
Some Triumphs had "plinths" for the license plate lamps (notably early
Spitfires and GT6s, as well as Heralds), but the TR3
didn't. Are we talking about the chromed L467/2 lamp, as in this link?

<http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=&pgCode=010&sgName=Search&pgNa
me=Lighting&agCode=0060&agName=Numberplate%2FRear%2FRev+Lamps&pCode=L467/5679
0>

As luck would have it, I still have the remains of a post-60000 TR3A. There
are two holes, roughly 1/2" in diameter, about
3 1/4" on center. The bottom of those holes is about 3/8" from the top edge of
the spare tire well opening. Above those two
large holes are two smaller holes, maybe 1/8" in diameter, that I believe are
for the mounting studs of the lamp. (I believe
the larger holes are for wiring?)

Actually, it doesn't matter, because the earlier L525 stop/license plate lamp
also mounted directly to the body.

Makes me wonder if some PO modified your rear apron for a different lamp?

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database:
http://triumph-herald.us