[TR] First ride & shrunken tops

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 10:54:30 MDT 2010

----- wbeech at flash.net wrote:
> Speaking of shrunken tops.  The Amco top that came with my TR3 comes
> up
> about 2" short, across the windscreen, is there any way to stretch
> these
> back into shape?
>
> Bill Beecher

Assuming is is a vinyl top, a bit of heat is required.

Assuming it is black, you can get a jump on the heat by laying it out in the Utah sun.  Escalate the process with a heat gun.  Keep the heat gun moving. Maybe you can get an assistant to heat-gun the top whilst you apply the stretching action.

Once you get it on the car, let it sit on the car for a while.  Leaving the top erected in winter storage should prevent this problem next spring.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UB "uncle jack"
1979 Caterham Super Seven
2004 Suburban 8.1
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net