[TR] TR3 Coil question

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Apr 5 06:59:39 MDT 2010

In a message dated 4/5/2010 7:08:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
auprichard at comcast.net writes:
> Took TCF 191LO out Saturday and drove all day - ran beautifully.  Went
> out
> again yesterday with my son behind the wheel and after around 30 miles it
> quit suddenly.  No spark and a very hot coil.  Got a ride home and
> returned
> with a replacement coil and it fired up and again ran beautifully.
>
> The problem is - this is exactly the same thing as happened 2 years ago,
> so
> the coil was (relatively) new.
>
> Question:  bad luck / coincidence or is anyone aware of a systematic
> problem
> which can cause coils to quit?  Thanks !

How hot is hot?  Remember this thing is bolted to the side of the block.
It's going to get hot to the touch.  It real problem may be something simple
like a dodgy connection.  I had a similar problem with my TR3 years ago.
Turned out to be a loose rivet holding one of the electrical connectors on the
top of the coil.  A little tapping of the rivet with a screwdriver to
tighten the connection fixed it.

Check the wires, pushon connectors and any other parts of the low tension
circuit for intermittent connection.

Dave