[TR] Bushing replacement

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Apr 5 06:29:02 MDT 2010

In a message dated 4/4/2010 9:29:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
fishplate at charter.net writes:
> I'm rebuilding the front suspension on my 75 TR6.  Before I just bolt
> everything up, it seems like lubricating the rubber bushings with
> something will make assembly and settling easier and more even.

I amy not be the best one to answer this since I've never gotten good
results with rubber bushings (which is one reason why I use poly) but from what
I've gleaned from this list is that my technique was wrong.  And that
technique involved lubricating the bushings.

The prescribed procedure involves no lubrication but it does say to not
tighten up the bushings until after the car is set back on its wheels and the
suspension arms are in their default position.  Then tighten them up.  This
way as the suspension moves the rubber will deform as the two parts move in
relation to each other.

If you lubricate, as I have found, one bushing will push the other bushing
out the end of the joint.

Hopefully, someone who has successfully installed rubber bushings will
comment on the tricks of doing this right.

If you decide to go poly be sure to lube the inner bores or you will get
squeaking.

Dave