[TR] Valve timing

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 4 09:26:03 MDT 2010

> Sorry for he second valve question on the list, how possible
> is it to check
> the valve timing with a built up and in place engine, that wont start,
> frustration has me now checking if i have  problem, I have
> gone through the
> usual, spark,fuel etc.. it did run briefly but roughly but now nothing

With #1 piston at TDC and ready to fire (rotor pointing to #1 position),
both valves on #4 should be open by the same amount.  A simple visual check
is plenty to see that the cam timing is close enough to run, although of
course there are more accurate ways to check.

I would also confirm that the piston position matches the mark on the front
pulley.  For just checking that it's close enough to run, you can look down
the plug hole or use a piece of steel wire as a probe.

I'd also suggest checking yet again that you have spark at the plugs.  The
sequence of "ran rough, now won't start" sounds suspiciously like a rotor or
coil failure.  But perhaps that's just because I've been fighting high
tension problems myself <G>

Randall