[TR] TR6 prop shaft removal

Mark Hooper mhooper at digiscreen.ca
Sat Apr 3 08:49:17 MST 2010

I'm fairly convinced I have a bad U-joint in my TR6's driveline. It's
aggravating that there is not an obviously bad u-joint visually, but I guess
they aren't that clear until apart. It's gone from a rumble at highway until
now almost unable to go faster than 5 mph without shrieking and rumble, so
lucky just to get home. Since the rumbling and scraping noise is about 3-4
times faster than wheel speed, I guess it is in the prop shaft rather than
after the differential. Rear hubs and diff are all new inside and left right
play on shafts seems about equal.

It's been too long since I did this job. Does the prop shaft come out forward
or back? i.e. I have the rear of the car on ramps and have removed my exhaust
system, but it's still not 100% obvious which way it comes out.

I'm thinking of undoing the output flanges on the diff first so that I can
spin the diff and the prop shaft and avoid having to disassemble the interior
to get at the top flange bolts.

Am I missing some easier way to go about this?

Mark
1972 TR6