[TR] TR3A Rear Main Seal

jerryvv at roadrunner.com jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Fri Apr 2 07:22:27 MST 2010

Folks, there is so much blame leveled at the rear main seal but it seems that it's all directed at the Crank Scroll but not at the other potential leak paths which result in oil dripping from the rear of the pan.
The bearing housing sides can cause a leak if not properly sealed, of course the pan itself as well as the valve cover can all look like it's the rear main seal leaking because that's where it's dripping.
I've taken my fair share of these engines apart and looked closely at the back of the block for signs of the scroll seal leaking and almost without exception there is very little evidence of that leaking.
Before pulling the engine I'd be looking for any and all other sources and fix those first.
Also as someone else has mentioned be sure that there is not excessive pressure building in the engine because the breather is blocked.
JVV