[TR] towing

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sat Sep 26 21:37:43 MDT 2009

On 26 Sep 2009 at 20:17, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> When you stop to gas up the tow vehicle, fire up the towee and let
> it idle a bit in neutral.  This will splash oil all over, enough
> to get the  gearbox safely to the next fuel stop without burning
> up anything.

You can also do this by having someone get in the car, put it in gear
and depress the clutch, then tow the car for a short distance.  It
will spin the input and layshafts so as to splash oil about.  As I
understand it, in most (all?) states it is illegal for someone to
ride in a towed vehicle, so do it carefully or not on a public road.
This is a useful trick if the engine won't run.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+