[TR] TR3 Speedo Reading

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Wed Sep 23 06:55:58 MDT 2009

     I had my speedo rebuilt about 40,000 miles/8 years ago by West Valley
Instruments and it worked fine.
 About 7 years ago (30,000 miles ago actually)
I rebuilt the engine and the car was off the road for about 18 months. When I
got back on the road the speedo  was flailing everywhere between 20 and 80
mph. I put a new cable in and routed it through the clip behind the engine in
front of the battery box. It still did it. I routed the cable more gently
between the carbs and over the valve cover to avoid bends. It still is messed
up. I just bought a new cable and routed it gently again thinking that maybe
my last new cable was messed up from new. It still doesn't work. The speedo
appears to move quite fluidly like it is lubed inside and not jammed in the
instrument.     The car has an
 A-type overdrive and I am using MOSS's OD 96
inch cable.     I am thinking about hooking the cable to an electric drill and
seeing if the speedo reads okay.     My next step is probably sending the
speedo back to West Valley for cleaning and lube.     What is causing this?
Are there other tests that I can do?     My track record with disassembling TR
gauges is not good, hence my relationship with West Valley Instrument.     Any
help would be appreciated.     See you at Triumphest.     TIA,
     Bill in Tehachapi