[TR] Low Oil Pressure - Life is good

John & Pat Donnelly pdonnel1 at san.rr.com
Sun Sep 20 13:00:35 MDT 2009

> The saga is far from over. Stay Tuned.

Went out for a drive today with a new oil pump, new rod bearings and new
center main bearing.

After 20 minutes of freeway driving at 3500 rpm the oil pressure actually
increased. It started at 70, after 10 minutes went to 80 and stayed there,
then I came to a stop. Idle pressure was at 30 lbs. So far, life is good.

Then back on the freeway the pressure climbed up to 90 and stayed there.
Came off the freeway after 10 minutes and idle pressure was at 30 again.
Revving the engine didn't take the pressure to 90 again. Stuck (closed)
relief valve??

So, I'm going to run it this way for a few days to see what happens. The
pressure relief valve may need cleaning if the pressure spikes up again.

As far as low oil pressure is concerned I believe mine was more due to the
thrashed oil pump than anything else. The replaced bearings didn't look too
bad, and the worst one, the rear, wasn't replaced.

Johnnie '67 TR4A