[TR] Sticking valves?

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 12:58:06 MDT 2009

Hi,

Tony, maybe you can clarify a little on what you've been doing when setting up your engines... And perhaps I can add a bit about?a?possible?reason?this happens...

My understanding is that the "unleaded" bronze valve guides we?have to use?today tend to expand more with heat than the originals "leaded" ones?did (cast iron of some sort, I believe).

As a result, it's an all too common mistake to "follow the repair?manual specs" when honing the new guides, which will leave the bronze ones?far too tight once the engine has warmed up. This?can lead to stuck valves?or worse.

Now, I don't have a repair manual at hand, but seem to recall that the original specs for honing showed a range and?with modern guides you'd better?NOT hone for the minimum. Instead hone for the largest dimension shown.?On the original?guides the larger dimension?would have indicated wear, that?the guide?was reaching the end of its useful life and would soon need replacement.

But, again, with modern guides it's best to hone for the largest dimension shown, or you?may see the valves start sticking.

Can anyone check confirm the original TR2/3/4/4A?repair manual specs for valve guides, especially on the exhaust side (if it differs from the intake)?

The most likely valves to stick with the too-small dimension are the exhaust valves because they have to deal with considerably more heat.?And, yes as Tony points out, #4 is the one that tends to run hotter on a TR engine,?even if it's?seen some mods to improve coolant flow back to the rear of the engine & head.

Alan Myers

San Jose, California
amfoto1 at aol.com

'62 TR4 CT17602L