[TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats?

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Sat Sep 19 06:18:15 MDT 2009

I absolutely DETEST modern owner's manuals!!!!!!!!!!!!  They are written by
lawyers, not by people concerned with the owner actually knowing anything
about using or maintianing the car.  Look at all the "warnings" and other
similar boxes.  Try to find out what fuse is for the interior lights, and how
to find it, and how to open the fuse box.

I wanted to replace a running light on my 2002 Ford Explorer.  I had to search
hard in the contents to find the appropriate section.  I had an extra hard
time to find out what type of bulb it is.  Then the manual says that the bulb
is not easily accessible and should be replaced by a trained technician.  I
searched for the bulb holder in that car and could not even see where it was
located.  I am sure that a quick description in the manual of the where and
how, and I could have done the job myself for the price of a bulb.  It cost me
something like $20 to get it done by someone who knew where and how.  $2 for
the bulb and $18 for the expertise in knowing where to put it! The job was
done quickly and done properly, but it did cost me.

These owners manuals suck.  They should be called the "Lawyer's Manual"!

-Tony