[TR] Off-topic -deadly floormats?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Sep 18 01:33:09 MDT 2009

>Not sure I'd like the idea of turning off the engine in that
> situation.B
> Wouldn't the power assists to the brakes quit?B

Only once the engine stopped turning, which even with an automatic wouldn't
happen until below 40 mph or so (assuming he didn't also shift into
neutral).

Even then, you get one application of the brakes, maybe two, before all the
boost is gone.

And contrary to popular opinion, you can stop without power assist.  Just
imagine your life depends on shoving that pedal through the firewall <G>

You forgot to mention the power steering ... once again, the car can be
steered without the boost, it just takes some serious effort.

I have tested these theories, in my 4000lb "flying couch" (aka Buick
Roadmaster Estate), on a mountain road.  It can be done.

> Not to mention, if in a driver's panic s/he switched the
> ignition ALL the way
> off, the steering locks...sending you into a tree?

As opposed to leaving the road at 120 mph, flying 100ft through the air, and
winding up in a ball of flames ?  I'd take the chance.

Randall