[TR] adjusting valves hot

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 17 18:41:11 MDT 2009

> (What engine calls for .013 cold?)

Early TR2 did, I believe.  There was a component change to reduce it to
.010" cold.  Some performance cams also call for .013" I think.

> There are more reasons for setting them cold than just the
> target spec!

The other problem I've always wondered about is "How hot is hot?"

The whole idea here is that various components get hot differently than
others (especially the exhaust valve stems and heads).  So, if you shut the
engine off and set the first valve within (say) a minute, and then complete
the job within 10 minutes, aren't the first valves you set going to wind up
differently than the last?

-- Randall