[TR] Oil Pressure

Brad Kahler brad.kahler at 141.com
Thu Sep 17 12:27:58 MDT 2009

Randall,

For the most part you're correct in your assumptions.  At the time we were
talking about race engines in general, all race engines (this conversation was
a while back and I was under pressure at the time so take what I say with a
grain of salt!).

I'm by no means advocating people should increase their oil pressure to a high
number especially on their street cars.  The point I was trying to make is
that high oil pressure is not necessarily a bad thing for an engine, even a
street engine.

As for the spit 1300, it is the large journal 1300 (and all 1500) engines that
had oiling problems.  There is a fix for the oiling problems outlined in one
of Kas's later books.  Don't remember what it is as right now we still race
the small journal engines.

To me the biggest worry is when you have a long history on an engine of having
certain oil pressure readings at certain speeds.  Its when those numbers start
to vary (low or high) that you need to start worrying.  Just my opinion of
course, ymmv.

Brad