[TR] Examining IRS Outer Hubs

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 06:23:22 MDT 2009

My "rule of thumb" has always been that you shouldn't feel any play in the
rear wheels while they are hanging free if you grasp them at noon and 6pm
and  give them a good shake.  But, I've seen (felt) many wheels with the
slightest amount of play which have stayed consistently like that for many
years.

Typically, when the hub bearings really start to wear, the offending wheel
will bang when traveling over bumps or most often when it's lightly loaded
(taking a tight turn).  The ultimate danger in letting things get very bad
back there is separation of the axle shaft and a lost wheel.

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA
1976 TR6  CF57822U

In a message dated 9/16/2009 12:03:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,