[TR] Static Timing

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Sep 9 21:50:28 MDT 2009

> randall - correct me if i'm wrong - the closed points create
> a ground, and
> opening them allows the electrons to flow on through to the
> spark plug.

Er, well, I guess kinda maybe ...

Way I see it, when the points are closed it allows current to flow through
the primary of the coil, which builds up a magnetic field in the core of the
coil.  When the points open, the magnetic field collapses very rapidly,
causing a high voltage to be generated in both the primary and secondary
coils.  The voltage across the (now open) points goes to several hundred
volts; but because the secondary has roughly 100 times as many windings as
the primary, it's voltage goes into the tens of thousands of volts
(hopefully whatever it takes to jump the plug gap).

> and that is why nothing works if you install the points
> incorrectly - they
> create a continous ground.  btdt

Me too!

Randall