[TR] Static Timing

Wayne rengrave at verizon.net
Tue Sep 8 21:27:58 MDT 2009

I'm ready "I think" to start my engine after my first engine rebuild.
I'm a little confused about how to set the static timing for my 73 TR6.
I followed the manuals and with 12 degrees btdc on the crank pulley, I have
the
distributor positioned so the test light goes on per the Bently manual.

However, in this position, the rotor is pointing between the #1 and #5
terminals on the distributor cap. Does this sound correct?
The manual states that the rotor should be pointing at #1.

Should I remove the distributor and try to re-position the drive gear to the
next tooth to see if the rotor ends up pointing directly at the # 1
terminal in the cap at the moment the light goes on @ 12 degrees btdc?

I just want to get it right so when I turn the key, the car will start.

Should I expect to turn the distributor once it starts to "tweek" the timing?

Does anyone have a check list for intial start-up?

I  know I should look at the oil pressure and when it warms up, watch the
temperature.

I plan to start it and let it run for 20 minutes @ 2000 - 2500 rpm to properly
break-in the engine.
I plan to use straight 30 wt "non-detergent" oil with Lucas oil additive to
add zinc.
After 20 minutes, I may dump the oil to examine it for any large bits of
metal, if ok, re-fill with fresh 30 wt oil
again with Lucas oil additive and run it for 500-800 miles. Is this being
overly cautious?
After 500-800 miles, I will run Castrol GTX 20-50 with a K & N oil filter.

Oops, I went a little off my original concern, I mainly want to get the static
timing correct for the initial start-up.

Wayne
73 TR6