[TR] Low Oil Pressure and Engine Noises

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 8 11:46:18 MDT 2009

> Any idea on the #2 conn rod bearing only working on half the surface?
> Could
> it be a problem with dirt/grit between the half shells?

Could be, but my guess is that the rod is bent slightly or perhaps the crank
journal is tapered instead.  My experience is that the shells are not that
rigid and will deform under the applied forces around any dirt or grit;
leaving a circular high spot visible on the face of the insert.  Doesn't
look serious enough to worry about now; but when you get ready for a full
rebuild, have the rods checked (per the book).

> I thought my oil filter was better!

This topic has been discussed several times.  The problem is not the filter
itself, but the bypass valve built into the filter head.  The intention here
is that if the filter becomes clogged, the bypass will open and allow
unfiltered oil into the galleries.  Several people believe that most bypass
valves open way too early, and allow unfiltered oil to bypass even when the
filter is not clogged.
http://tinyurl.com/ltu3jy

Of course this does not apply to the TR2 and earlier TR3 engines with the
'bypass' filter system, where unfiltered oil was always supplied to the
galleries and the filtered oil was returned to the crankcase!

-- Randall