[TR] Low Oil Pressure and Engine Noises

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Sep 6 22:53:19 MDT 2009

> The screen has a big hole (thumb nail size) right underneath
> the pickup tube
> inlet. Looks like abrasive damage (vibration?). The hole was right
> underneath (sump side) of the tube.

Yup, that's right where they fail.  The screen was originally soldered to
the tube at that point.  Engine vibration causes the wires of the screen to
flex right at the surface of the solder blob, and eventually break at that
point.

> Did Ken describe how to weave the wire, since I was thinking
> about ways to
> keep the tube centered in the screen and avoid the abrasion
> issue again?

Hah!  Found it!  TRSC Tech Talk Volume 2, page 29; tip originally published
in The Triumph Tribune, November 1990.

To paraphrase:

Start with a piece of .025" "half-hard" copper wire, about 2' long.  Bend a
4" section at one end into a semicircle and then about 1/2" closer to the
pump than the solder blob, work it through the oil screen, over the top of
the pipe and back out through the screen near the bottom.  Then do it again
through the next hole in the screen.  Twist the ends together and cut off
the excess.

Then repeat the process on the other side of the blob.

As Ken said, "This whole procedure is not particularly easy to do and it
does require a degree of manual dexterity, but it is a good fix!"

Ken specified copper and that's what I used, but I'm confident that .020" or
.025" stainless safety wire would also work well.

Randall