[TR] Fwd: Brit Money Definition

Brian Jones tr4zest at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 03:45:39 MST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Jones <tr4zest at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 6:45 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] Brit Money Definition
To: tomislav.marincic at earthlink.net

'Old money' as we referred to it after the New Pence came to be (1969?)
offered some logic in buying things in dozens. If an orange cost 3d (three
pennies) then a dozen oranges cost 3 shillings. While the term 'penny' stems
from old English, the abbreviation d, from denarius, a Roman silver coin, is
a hang-over from the Roman invasion of Britain. Roman soldiers earned one
denarius per diem. Perhaps denarii were interchangeable with pennies?

Brian