[TR] Car Myths

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at charter.net
Wed Oct 21 19:54:48 MDT 2009

At 07:28 PM 10/21/2009, terryrs at comcast.net wrote:

>In movies, when heroes are out of gas, they happen to have a bottle of whisky
>in the car.B  Thinking on their feet, they pour the bottle into their gas tank
>and--varoom--off they go!

I can't speak to that specifically, but I once ran out of gas in the
Spitfire.  It was going to be an hour or more before AAA would be
dropping by, so I rummaged in the trunk and came up with a
half-bottle of fuel treatment.  Having nothing to lose, I poured it
in the tank.  When I hit the starter, the engine caught and I hauled
ass for the gas station about 2 miles away.  Made it with gas to spare.

I don't know if it was running on fuel treatment, or if it was enough
to float the residual gas below the outlet enough to let a bit more
flow.  Either way, it saved me a long wait on the side of the road!

Jeff Scarbrough      75 TR6 x 1, 76 1500 x 2, 78 1500 x 1, 80 1500 x 0.5
http://www.fishplate.org/vehicles/
Corrosion Acres, Georgia         #354