[TR] Car Harmonics

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Oct 20 14:28:37 MDT 2009

> You may have noticed at Triumphest that TR44SUE is louder
> than your bagpipes. Sue is getting tired of setting off car
> alarms with the glass-pack system

FWIW, Phil, I had the same problem with the single glasspack installed by a
local muffler shop on TS39781LO.  I found that adding a downturned chrome
tip greatly reduced both the apparent noise, and the incidence of setting
off car alarms.  Still would set them off occasionally, when in a parking
garage or something that would resonate.

When I took TS13571L back to the same place, I asked for a quieter system
and he installed a second, smaller glass pack behind the rear axle; just
like the factory did originally.  The sound is now just perfect, IMO.

Price and hassle factor were very attractive as well, cost me about $180
with tax and installation; installed in about an hour.  That's only from the
headpipe back, as the headpipe itself was in good condition.

-- Randall