[TR] Trickle Charger Wire Gauge?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 19 08:40:11 MDT 2009

> I have two,
> one from HF and one from Mouser.  One unit is a simple wall wart that
> regulates (or seems to) at 14.25 volts.  The other has a wall
> wart with a secondary
> box with a light.  This unit regulates at 13.5 volts.  The
> little box gets
> warm suggesting that there is a regulator located in there.

That's the unit I had as well (actually I bought two of them while they were
on sale).
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

> I also have a 6 A three stage charger from Guest that I can
> use for heavy
> duty recharging if that should become necessary.  So I have
> no need for
> fabricating a Hayes model charger.

Good for you.  The battery I was trying to charge had problems of some sort,
and would get hot with a conventional charger.  I was curious to see what
would happen if it were trickle charged for several months.  Bad idea
obviously, but somehow I missed the warning saying that the battery
"charger" (HF's word) could not be used for charging batteries.

Anyway, my point was just that their regulator does not include a current
limit.  I agree it would be tough to accidentally start a fire with one of
these.

Oh, and on behalf of my folks, thanks for the drinks.  Debt paid in full <G>

Randall