[TR] plastic tranny covers

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Sat Oct 17 19:00:44 MDT 2009

Jim,
When I did my 5 speed conversion I went to the poly tunnel
(http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/5SpeedInterior.htm) and did a few things to
get a good fit. I drilled all the holes in the tunnel out to 1/2" to give me
some bolt slop. I test fitted, punched out the holes and notched the rubber
sealing strip so that it "flowed" with the shape of the tunnel bottom. I
used some Ultra-black on the floor and pressed the strip into it to better
seal and hold it in place. I did the same for the firewall which is a PITA
to do so some guys skip it. What I wished I had done and was suggested to my
by a TR6 buddy was to thread the tunnel bolts up from underneath the car.
That way you have the bolt end sticking up and inch or so which makes it
very easy to fit the tunnel to the bolt. I just used this trick on my Miata
seats which made it much easier to catch the seat bracket. I also covered
the tunnel with FatMat and carpet underlayment. The upside is as very quiet
(relatively speaking) and cool interior. The downside is that the added
thickness made it very difficult to get the dash support back in place. I
don't remember who I got the tunnel from.......but it was on sale at the
time!

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection