[TR] "Retiring from the TR hobby"

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 17 17:03:18 MDT 2009

Jim Muller wrote:
> We drive the GT6 and turn heads.  Most are the heads of bored women
> in the passenger seats of SUVs driven by husbands intent on passing
> us.  They turn and smile as we slide backwards.

Jim, that happened a few times during the Trans-AmeriCan Drive - sort of.
I too got the envious looks from passengers as the car in which they were travelling started to draw
ahead. However, when "uncle jack" was fully broken in, I 'took them on' - for fun.
Disengaged overdrive, changed down to third and floored the accelerator!!! Just kept piling on the
power, the revs and up-changing as I was leading the increasing gap between us.
More than once when people caught up with me again and either shouted across the windblast or the
next set of lights -"whaddya got under that hood?"
The reply was simple
"Nothing much. Just a thirty five year old 150 cube British V8 - and a six speed box."
It's the sort of thing that brings a self-satisfied smile to most older car owner's face..........

Jonmac