[TR] TR6 Trapazoidal Front Side Lamps

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 12 15:33:20 MDT 2009

>      I am thinking about trying to seal up the treads on the
> mounting studs for the front side lamps for early '74 TR6 so
> that next time I remove them they don't snap off from being
> rusty.

I've found that just anti-seize is adequate in our relatively benign SoCA
environment.  None of the bolts on my wrecked TR3A has put up a fight, even
though many of them have had exposed threads for nearly 20 years.  However,
here are some thoughts:

1) What about replacing the studs with SS?

2) I've been experimenting with CRC SP-400 corrosion inhibitor, which is the
closest thing to the old military Cosmolene that I've been able to find so
far.  It sprays on like a heavy oil, but the surface dries to a waxy crust.
So far it seems to work well, but I've only tried it for storing machined
parts.

3) Would it help to cut off the excess length of the studs?

-- Randall