[TR] Gear Oils for Triumphs

Rick chandler.rick at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 09:34:17 MDT 2009

The problem of gear oils in vintage gearboxes with bronze or brass bearings
or synchronizers exists in spades with vintage British motorcycles. The
Norton community has thoroughly thrashed this out, and the conclusion
follows Randall's recent comment on GL-5 oils, namely, that most, but not
all, GL-5 oils are perfectly safe to use in our gearboxes. In particular,
Redline Technical Services unambiguously maintains that NONE of their gear
oils, including GL-5, corrode copper-bearing parts at temperatures below
150C. Their NS series is specific to synchronized transmissions, and I use
it in my TR3A. But for my 2-legged mounts, any of the Redline GL-5 products
work well. Redline is a serious company that is genuinely interested in
servicing the vintage automotive market. And no, I have no interest in
Redline, other than being pleased that they are there for us.

Rick Chandler

2414 73rd Avenue SE

Mercer Island WA 98040

Home         206 236 8662

Cell            206 909 8408

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image001.jpg]