[TR] Pertronix coils

Bob rpeglow at optonline.net
Sun Nov 29 21:35:47 MST 2009

Application chart shows coil resistance and part number.
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/chart.aspx
Regards,
Bob

> Hello,
>
> Recently I wrote a reply to this thread which stated that using a 12V
Lucas Sport coil with a Pertronix Ignitor ignition trigger in a TR6 would
cause the current through the Pertronix to exceed the maximum allowable
value. This was mathematically correct, based on the information available
from the manufacturer of the Pertronix at the time I wrote my post.

> My message was based on information posted on Pertronix's web site, which
stated that the maximum current permitted in a 6-cylinder car was 4.0 amps.
I have subsequently talked to "Rob" at Pertronix tech support, who was
surprised that this information was still on their web site. He states that
3.0 ohms of resistance is a permissible value for a coil used with the
Ignitor, and that 4.0 Amps of current is no longer the recommended maximum
current for 6-cylinder cars. He indicated that the web site would be
corrected shortly.

> Using a low-resistance "HEI" coil (typically 1.2 to 1.5 ohms) will fry
your Pertronix. Leaving the ignition on for long periods with the engine not
running will also damage it.  Using a Lucas Sport Coil will not.

> I regret that I posted incorrect information.
>
> Cheers, Tom

Database version: 6.13800