[TR] Car club meetings

Glenn A. Merrell - TTA StagByTriumph at triumphstagclub.org
Fri Nov 20 13:42:02 MST 2009

Hi Marty,

Feeling like your meetings are a bit empty when you go home?  Newcomers
thinking your group is a substitute for a codger gathering?
Talks are fine, swapping stories about LBC's are fine, driving through
your area for a lunch or museum outing or Pub / wine tasting is fine,
having a chili cook off is fine, but they are all kind of self serving
and in the end, seeming somewhat unrewarding when it is over, aren't they?
And the Chili cook off just contributes to global warming from the extra
methane produced, not to mention the added load on the community septic.

Would it feel better as a club to say after one of these events that
something was actually accomplished for the good of others and you all
had a blast planning and doing it, other than testing the proper torque
on a 5/16" nut or pointing another enthusiast to the right page in the
Repair Manual??  I'm not saying to eliminate those activities because
they are extremely useful and enjoyable most of the time, just
supplement them.

How about adding the subject of merging one or many of your LBC
activities with some charitable support event?  This focuses the club on
a task, gives the members something to plan - organize and look forward
to,  establishes a goal that benefits more than just the basic club
house paint job, and usually when it is all over leaves your
organization with a sense of accomplishment.  Bring in a local or
national organization or charity director and have them talk about what
they do, then organize or assist with a fund raiser incorporating
sponsors, drives or activities with your LBC's.

For example, there is the "America's British Reliability Run" that
benefits children's charities.  Why not have your club plan, organize
and conduct a drive to correspond with this event in say, competition
with other LBC's to see which club or club representative entrant can
raise the most $$ for their respective charity??  I would bet that the
organizer of ABRR would gladly track which clubs raise what, and might
even locate a prize sponsor for the most innovative contributors.

Over 45 clubs participated in the TTA 2009 Charity Drive and they all
had great fun while organizing their coordination and hand offs with the
other clubs.  To those clubs, how was the experience??  Did you feel the
club accomplished something good?  Worth doing again with the clubs on
either side of you?  How about with other LBC clubs in your area?  I
know there are a lot of clubs and potential sponsors that sat back and
wondered what happened, thinking they probably should have, or grumbled
because the did not ...

Maybe hold a tech tuneup session for LBC's at a local service garage or
merchant who will donate proceeds for that day, a tune for storage event
where visits are made to LBC owners to help get their cars ready for
winter or tuned for cooler months running on nice days in the south for
a donation to charity,  the ideas are endless, be creative..

The LBC clubs in the UK do this stuff as regular activities in their
LBC's  and it is not always in sunny and dry weather.

Why can't we - all?

I hope this ignites a few sparks in the Lucas lamps for ideas.

Cheers!

Glenn A. Merrell
TTA North American Drive Coordinator 2009
Lafayette, Colorado  80026-1811  USA
www.triumphtransamerica.org
Skype,Twitter,FaceBook: StagByTriumph